Friday, August 11, 2006

Colorado Springs...Colorado Springsites...Colorado Springsters?

QUESTION: What are Colorado Springs residents called? Denver has Denver-ites and Boston has Bostonians. What are us Colorado Springs residents called?
- Doug Roman

ANSWER: During the past 10 years The Gazette has run three different articles asking readers what moniker local residents should have. In 1996, readers and writers had a lot of fun but came to no consensus. Frequently mentioned: Springers.

A poll in 2001 brought 32 favorite names with Springers up top, followed by Pikes Peakers, Colorado Springsters — and the ... Springsteens. That was also the year a reader proposed "Mountain Huggers."

We tried again in 2004, and an expert pointed out that possibly we were having a problem because nicknames are usually attached to a city early in its history. Gen. William Jackson Palmer, the city’s founder, apparently didn’t call his residents Springsites or Springers, so nothing stuck. The conclusion of that article was that “Colorado Springs residents” is probably handiest and easiest. Tell us what you think. See other opinions: gazette.com/interactives/springers

3 Comments:

Blogger Ub3rn00b said...

You mentioned that people in Denver and Boston have names for their people while Colorado Springs does not. Perhaps when Colorado Springs becomes the size of Denver or Boston, people of the springs will also get their own name. I've lived here for most of my life and I've never given it a thought. If I had to label myself based on what city I live in, I supposed I would be a Springcitizen.

6:03 PM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Springers? That's frankly insulting. I was born/raised here in the Springs, and if anyone ever called me a "springer" I'd be very upset. Springsians? I don't know. But "springers" is not the answer.

6:37 AM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect "anonymous" is referring to the definition of a springer as "a cow about to give birth".

Springers... pregnant with possibilities. Works for me. :0)

7:50 PM, September 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home